• 14/02/2023
Harry Mitchell battling for the ball

10-men Sheffield FC were defeated 2-0 by Dunston UTS in a highly contested affair as two late yellow cards were shown to Rory Coleman at Tuffnells Home of Football.

The visitors found themselves 1-0 up going into half-time through Terry Galbraith's penalty. Sheffield FC sustained large amounts of pressure throughout the second half and will feel unlucky not to have equalised. 

However, Richard Coulson's late strike followed by the two yellow cards to Coleman sent the hosts down to 10 men killing any possibility of a comeback. The game had started slowly with both sides trying to grow into the tie. 

The first opportunity fell to Stephen Brogan when his curling free-kick was safely collected by the palms of James Anderson. 

This was quickly followed by Dunston's first opportunity where Terry Galbraith's throw-in found Richard Coulsen on the edge of the box where he could manage to sky his shot into the crowd. 

In 26 Minutes, the game sprung into life. Coulson's tidy through pass found Liam Thear in the area where Joshua Burns could only bring him down giving Dunston a penalty. 

Galbraith stepped up to take the penalty and gave Jordan Pierrepoint no chance of saving the penalty by slotting the ball in the bottom left corner. 

With the Visitors taking the lead they pressed for a second, Will Jenkins cutting in from the left-hand side and sending a fizzing pass into Coulson in the box but his tame shot was straight at Jordan Pierrepoint.

The last chance of the half again fell to the visitors, Coulson sending a tantalising cross into the area but was just too far for the upcoming Carl Finnigan and went behind for a goal-kick.

Sheffield FC came out flying in the second half where they controlled the early proceedings. Brogan's corner was almost headed home by the Dunston defender Jude Swailes where his looping header just went over the Dunston goal. 

This was quickly followed by another Brogan free kick which was straight at Anderson. Sheffield thought they got an equaliser,  Brogan's in-swinging corner found Reece Fielding whose powerful header hit the back of the net. However, the referee Richard Morris deemed there to be a push on Anderson and ruled the goal out.

The hosts would regret not taking the advantage of their sustained pressure as against the run of play, Dunston doubled their lead.

 A flick-on from substitute Sado Djalo found Jenkins outside the 18-yard box whose pass found Coulson in the box where he managed to shrug off Sam Greenhouse  and dispatch the ball in the bottom corner leaving Pierrepont no chance of saving the shot. 

Things went from bad to worse for the hosts, Coleman fouled Jack Elliot on the halfway line to prevent a counter-attack and received a second yellow card sending Sheffield down to 10 men. 

Sheffield FC had the last chance of the game, An excellent pinpoint corner from Brogan found Fielding whose thunderous header was a certain goal if it was not for Anderson’s brilliant one-handed save.  

Sheffield FC: 1 Jordan Pierrepoint, 2 Sam Greenhouse, 3 Rory Coleman, 4 Adam Watson, 5  Reece Fielding, 6 Joshua Burns, 7 Stephen Brogan, 8 Harry Mitchell, 9 Luke Hinsley, 10 Nathan Modest, 11 Basile Zottos. 

Subs: 14 Jamie Yates,15 Adam Baskerville, 16 Corey Glaves, 17 Luke Aldrich, 18 Matt Roney

Grantham Town FC:  1 James Anderson, 2 Craig Baxter, 3 Terry Galbraith, 4 Phil Turnbull, 5 Jude Swailes, 6 Jon Shaw, 7 William Jenkins, 8 Ursene Mouanda, 9 Carl Finnigan, 10 Liam Thear, 11 Richard Coulson

Subs: 12 Jake Jensen,13 Dan Staples, 14 Jack Camarda, 15 Jack Elliot, 16 Sado Djalo

Attendance: 357

Referee: Richard Morris

Match Reporter: Adam Brooke