A last gasp winner from substitute Jordan Chapell saw Sheffield FC book a date with Trafford in the Integro League Cup Third Round, as the World’s First came out victors in an end-to-end contest with FC United of Manchester, running out 2-1 winners at Broadhurst Park.


Club opened the scoring on 36 minutes through Mitchell Dunne, with Charlie Ennis levelling from the spot on the hour for the hosts, and just as it looked like it was going to a penalty shootout up stepped Chapell to give the away side the win.


Despite making five changes to the team that played at the weekend, Premier Division outfit United still looked a formidable obstacle, so it was always going to need a fantastic performance to get a positive result.



Sheffield delivered on that requirement with some to spare, and started the game positively and on the front foot, creating the first chance from a Ben Turner cross that Sheldon Jordan could only stab at keeper Cameron Belford.


United’s quality was quite evident, and they could have opened the lead midway through the half as they cut through the middle, with Kyle Hawley bearing down on goal it took a goal saving tackle from Ash Grayson to keep parity.


Hawley was to prove quite a handful up front, and put the ball wide with the goal at his mercy after being put through by Paul Ennis, whilst Finlay Sinclair-Smith went closest for the home side with a drive from distance.



They went closer still minutes later, as a quick free kick caught Club napping, this time Alex Curran was the culprit pulling his effort wide with just Jonathan Hedge to beat.


It was the away side however who took their opportunity ten minutes before the break, Lee Cooksey intercepting in midfield, sending Mitch Dunne racing through to drive beyond the keeper.


Sheffield finished the half the dominant side, with both Dunne and Ben Turner both missing glorious opportunities, finding keeper Cameron Belford on both occasions.


United had the final chance of the half, Ennis delivering a great cross into the middle, with Curran going too close for comfort with a header.


The second half saw Club sit a lot deeper for the opening, and after a few probes into the visitors area, FCUM were awarded a penalty on 60 minutes after Ted Cribley tripped Hawley in the box – with Ennis smashing the spot kick home to make it 1-1.


Club really should have retaken the lead immediately, a shot from the right by Marc Newsham was parried by Belford, and with the goal at his mercy Jordan was unable to get the ball under control to tap into the open net.


The remainder of the game was a frantic end-to-end encounter, with both sides going close, as Jordan skimmed the bar from the edge of the area and substitute Regan Lilley testing Hedge.


Just as everyone was preparing for the inevitable penalty shoot-out, Sheffield broke at pace with the trio of substitutes Danny Deakin, Regan Hutchinson and Jordan Chapell tearing up the field with a surprisingly sharp Sheldon Jordan, the ball was sent across the face of goal where Chapell was lurking at the back post to slide the ball home to snatch a dramatic victory.


FC United of Manchester: Cameron Belford, Ben Kerr, Adam Dodd, Michael Donohue, Chris Doyle, Lewis Lacy, Finlay Sinclair-Smith, Jack Lenehan, Kyle Hawley, Alex Curran, Paul Ennis
Subs: Aaron Morris, Luke Griffiths, Regan Linney, Mike Potts, Tunde Owolabi


Sheffield FC: Jonathan Hedge, Ashley Grayson, Ben Turner, Robert Darkin, Stuart Ludlam, Adam Chapman, Edward Cribley, Lee Cooksey, Marc Newsham, Mitchell Dunne, Sheldon Jordan
Subs: Danny Deakin, Jordan Chapell, Damian Magee, Matthew Roney, Regan Hutchinson


Attendance: 482



Privacy Policy         Cookie Policy         Terms of Use         Terms & Conditions         Company Details



Privacy Policy         Cookie Policy         Terms of Use         Terms & Conditions

         Company Details







Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.

You have Successfully Subscribed!

  • No products in the cart.