First Team vs. Spalding United (2 : 1)

Saturday, 12 January, 2019 - 15:00
Evo-Stik League East Division

Sheffield FC moved back into the play off places on Saturday, writes Stuart James, as they edged past Spalding United in a scrappy wind affected game at the Coach and Horses. 

Goals from Marc Newsham and the returning Ted Cribley gave Club all three points, with the Tulips' Leon Mettam grabbing one back, in a game the hosts won 2-1.

The home side started the game in positive fashion, with the wing combination of James Gregory and Ted Cribley pushing Spalding on to the back-foot from the off, and forcing a series of corners. 

It was from one of these corners on 12 minutes that Sheffield took the lead, Gregory playing it short to Mitchell Dunne who in turn back-heeled into the path of Cribley, the latter drove the ball into the mix with NEWSHAM getting the vital touch to steer the ball home. 

Shortly after Club should have made it two, as a ball through found Dunne clear through on goal, however the prolific striker pulled the shot wide from the edge of the area with only the keeper to beat. 

This was the cue for Spalding to come back into it, and Kieran Wells went close to levelling matters with a shot from a narrow angle, only to be denied by Ashley Grayson who hooked the ball off the line. 

Ex-Clubbie Jack Brownell also had a decent effort, driving the ball from 25 yards, going inches wide of the post. 

In the second half Club were punished after failing to clear a corner on 53 minutes, the ball fell onto the head of METTAM, who directed it home from close range. 

The scoreline remained level for a matter of seconds, as straight from the restart Sheffield broke down the right hand side, with CRIBLEY taking one touch before firing into the corner beyond Duggan. 
The visitors belied their league position by causing problems on the break, and it took a great save from Sheffield stopper Jamie Ingham to deny another equaliser, tipping over a free-kick from Bradley Wells. 

Straight up the other end and Duggan made an even better save, after Dunne twisted and turned to eke out a shot, with a fantastic stop preventing what looked a certain goal. 

Gregory was the next to force a save from Duggan, pulling in from the left and seeing his shot turned round the post, whilst Dunne also had another shot cleared off the line. 

Arguably the best chance for a third came in injury time, as Gregory chased down a series of passes in deep defence to eventually win the ball, take it round the keeper and square it into the middle for Ted Cribley... the shot was forgettable, however forgivable given the previous contribution of one assist and a goal.

Sheffield FC: Ingham, Grayson, Turner, Winter, Ludlam, Chapman (c), Cribley, Patterson, Dunne, Newsham, Gregory. Subs: Gascoigne, Hastings, Yates, Robinson, Eagle. 
Spalding United: Duggan, Fixter, Hugo, Brownell, Humble, Spafford, Floyd, Davison, K.Wells, Mettam, B.Wells. Subs: C.Marshall, Everington, L.Marshall, White. 


Man of the Match: 
Darryl Winter