First Team vs. Peterborough Sports (3 : 2)

Saturday, 9 September, 2017 - 15:00
Evo-Stik League First Division South

Sheffield FC performed a remarkable second half comeback on Saturday, writes Stuart James, as they came from two goals down to stun Peterborough Sports to record their first win of the season. After falling behind to two headers - a 5th minute effort from Avelino Viera and one in the 40th minute from Josh Sanders - Club fought back with great character, pulling one back on 50 minutes through Richard Adams, whilst the turnaround was complete from a Jinky Gregory double on 62 and 66 minutes.

Sports started in a very positive frame of mind, and a warning of what was to follow came inside the first couple of minutes, as a diving header from Liam Marshall was blocked on the line by Brett Souter.

Sheffield replied with a sortie upfield, and should probably have done better when Jack Mawson found himself open on the left, only to blast his effort across the face of the goal.

Peterborough took the lead on 5 minutes after Dave Cobb weaved down the right, putting in an excellent ball to the middle of a static Sheffield box, allowing VIERA to power a header home.

The barrage from the visitors continued, and Avelino Viera had a great opportunity to double moments later, failing to convert an excellent Joshua Moreman cross.

Club tried to respond, but were limited to a long distance drive from Andrew Gascoigne which was not too far off target, whilst James Gregory was denied by a routine stop from keeper Aaron Butcher.

The visitors had the ball in the net from a corner, Viera diving through the stramash to head home, only to see the effort ruled out for a shirt pull in the box.

The inevitable second came on 40 minutes, once again it was a static home defence that was overly generous, as Dan Lawlor's corner was met in the middle by an unmarked header from SANDERS.

Whatever was said at the break seemed to work wonders, and the introduction of the experienced Lee Morris and Ritchie Humphreys gave the hosts more poise and calmness, and within five minutes of the restart they were back in the game.

Ben Algar's low corner seemed to have caused no problems for the visitors, however it was only half cleared, with ADAMS spinning to curl a neat first time shot into the top corner from the edge of the area.

Club looked more confident now, and should really have levelled after a telling cross from James Gregory picked out the excellent run to the back post by Ben Turner, with Turner’s volley finishing off target.

It was level on 62 minutes, as GREGORY made no mistake latching onto a flick header, slotting the ball through Aaron Butcher's legs.

Four minutes later and Club were 3-2 up, Andrew Gascoigne winning a header, setting up GREGORY for a second that was deflected by Liam Marshall.

There was a sour note for Sheffield as Gascoigne was shown a red card for a heavy tackle on substitute Cameron Gow six minutes from time, but Club were able to hold on with ease to record their first win of the season with no real alarms from a stunned Peterborough side thatr ealistically looked like they would win in a canter.

Sheffield FC: Souter, Turner, Algar, Price, Cooksey, Adams, Robson, Gascoigne, Mawson, Tijani, Gregory. Subs: Brownell, Humphreys, Dawes, Smith, Morris.

Peterborough Sports: Butcher, Robinson, Cobb, Sanders, Marshall, Webb, McGeorge, Lawlor, Viera, Jones, Moreman. Subs: Eason, McCammon, Gow, Scott, Connell. 


Man of the Match: 
James Gregory


Squad Player Goals
Lee Cooksey ©
Brett Souter more
Jack Mawson more
Benjamin Turner more
Richard Adams O more
Mohammed Tijani
Ben Algar more
Derry Robson
James Gregory O O more
Lewis Price more
Andrew Gascoigne
Squad Player Goals
Ritchie Humphreys
Lee Morris
Jack Brownell