First Team vs. Peterborough Sports (1 : 3)

Saturday, 14 April, 2018 - 15:00
Evo-Stik League First Division South

Sheffield FC deserved a lot more from this game than the scoreline suggests and came away empty handed despite dominating possession for long periods. 

Sheffield began the game on the front foot, earning a corner in the first minute from which Julian Lawrence headed wide. A mistake by young ‘keeper Jamie Ingham almost allowed Vieira an opportunity on goal but Damian Magee was on hand to clear the danger. Luis Morrison was next to threaten for Sheffield and then in the best of the early chances, Matt Roney shot the ball across goal with Waide Fairhurst only inches away from converting. Against the run of early pressure by Sheffield, the home side took the lead on 13 minutes, Josh Moreman was allowed too much space on the left and scoring with an unstoppable shot. The goal spurred on Peterborough and they began to have the upper hand as Sheffield faded a bit and the visitors found clear cut chances hard to come by in the remainder of the first period.

Sheffield responded well at the start of the second half; Alex Brown got forward and headed just over from a throw in. Andy Gascoigne hit a volley just over after a good cross by Brown and got reward for their efforts when Waide Fairhurst converted a penalty on 52 minutes to level the scores.

Roney was replaced by James Gregory; he was involved straight away getting into the penalty area but when the ball was lost Peterborough broke away and Mark Jones scored to put the hosts 2 – 1 ahead. From then on Sheffield dominated – Ben Turner had a good effort on the turn and James Gregory had a good run into the area with Jamie Yates putting in another good cross which keeper Moat did well to claim. Rob Worrall was introduced replacing Adam Chapman and Turner headed wide from his cross and Lawrence had a couple of opportunities which he headed close.

Toward the end, as Sheffield pressed for a deserved leveller, there was an altercation behind the Sheffield dugout involving home supporters which led to a stoppage in play. This broke Sheffield’s momentum somewhat and in the final moments Lewis Hilliard converted a free-kick to put the game beyond the visitors.

Peterborough Sports: Moat, Lawlor, Marshall (Medwynter), Wall, Jones, Hilliard, Williams, (Webb), McCammon, Vieira, Jones, Moreman (Hill), Connell
Sheffield FC: Ingham, Turner, Brown, Mageee, Morrison, Lawrence (Lindley), Roney (Gregory), Chapman (Worrall), Fairhurst, Yates, Gascoigne, Osborne