First Team vs. Marske United (3 : 3)

Saturday, 8 September, 2018 - 15:00
Evo-Stik League East Division

Marske United moved to the top of the Evo-Stik East, writes Stuart James, as a late equaliser denied Sheffield FC all three points in another goal-fest at the Home of Football. 

A goal each from all three strikers for the home side looked to have sealed it for Club, as Marc Newsham opened with his fourth goal in four games, with Leon Osborne and substitute Waide Fairhurst grabbing a third. 

However once again Sheffield’s leaky defence let the visitors snatch a point, with Damien Stevens, Glen Butterworth and Adam Wheatley all finding the back of the net as the hosts switched off at the back. 

The away side started the liveliest, however it was the hosts who had the first chance, with Leon Osborne driving just over after being set up in a central position twenty yards from goal. 

Club started to press with a series of Jamie Yates corners, with Andrew Gascoigne being denied by a good block by keeper Robert Dean, and the keeper spilling a free-kick from Yates to concede yet another corner.

Sheffield took the lead on 17 minutes from this, after a well worked move from the corner, Jamie Yates putting the ball in with Marc Newsham slamming the ball home. 

On 28 minutes, James Kay, Newsham and Ben Turner, with a great cross finding Leon Osborne who took a touch before driving into the net for 2-0.

Just three minutes later and Marske pulled one back out of nothing, a magnificent cross from the right finding Stevens who beat Ross Durrant with a perfectly cushioned header.

It was still the home team pressing and looking the most dangerous, and after more good work from Gregory, Kay and Gascoigne, it was Osborne who squandered a chance to restore the lead.

Club re-established the two-goal cushion six minutes into the second half, as more neat football from the hosts as Osborne and Charlie Wakefield interchanged to slide the ball through to substitute Waide Fairhurst who lofted the ball over Robert Dean. 

The Seasiders pulled it back to 3-2, as Sheffield switched off for a moment, allowing Glen Butterworth to break down the right to loft a peach of a lob over Durrant. 

It looked as if Marske had levelled when Curtis Round hit a vicious strike from the middle of the box, and Andrew Gascoigne cleared off the line with a brave stop, turning the ball over the top. 

In the second minute of injury time it was 3-3, as Round found space on the left-hand side to square the ball, with skipper Adam Wheatley stabbing in from close range.

This was a game the hosts deserved to win, however it was the defensive frailties once again that let an average looking visiting side grab three goals, and of course salvaging a point. 

Sheffield FC: Durrant, Turner, Kay, Wakefield, Lawrence, Winter, Yates, Gascoigne ©, Osborne, Newsham, Gregory. Subs: Fairhurst, Mohammed, Ofoegbu, Mackie, Eagle.
Marske United: Dean, May, Wheatley ©, Butterworth, Rowbotham, Round, Martin, Gott, Stevens, Owens, O’Sullivan. Subs: Brockbank, Owens, Hillerby, Clark, McDonald. 


Man of the Match: 
James Kay