First Team vs. Lincoln United (3 : 2)

Tuesday, 3 October, 2017 - 19:45
Evo-Stik League First Division South

Mark Shaw had the homecoming he hoped for on Tuesday night, writes Stuart James, as an entertaining Sheffield FC side came from behind to win their first game in six by beating Lincoln United 3-2 at the Home of Football. 

Lincoln were no pushovers in this game, and took the lead twice as first Matt Cotton gave the visitors the lead on 16 minutes, with Jack McGovern getting a second on 31 minutes. 

Sheffield levelled both of those goal, firstly Joel Purkiss on 25 minutes squared matters, then Matt Sykes did likewise on 66 minutes, before Andrew Gascoigne wrapped matters up on 73 minutes. 
It was a fast-flowing game of football, with both sides eager to move the ball about the pitch, and both creating chances early on. 

Jack McGovern was the first to have a shot in anger, with the ball deflecting wide for a corner, whilst at the other end Sheffield skipper Richard Adams hooked one over from the edge of the area. 

Club thought they’ve opened the scoring as James Gregory broke through to release a shot on goal, with the ball somehow being stopped a little too calmly on the line, as Callum Ward steered the ball to safety. 

The deadlock was broken by the visitors on the next attack, Jack Wightwick broke down the left to put the ball into COTTON, whose deflected drive looped over the head of Dylan Parkin and into the net. 

The hosts were quick to reply, as Andrew Gascoigne slipped a neat defence splitting pass through to PURKISS, who looked up before picking his spot past Lincoln keeper Phil McGann.

It should have been a second for Sheffield almost immediately, however McGann pulled off an incredible save to deny Gregory, when the winger looked all on goal scorer. 

Moments later, Rob Norris came to Lincoln’s rescue, clearing off the line after Lee Cooksey drove the ball through a mass of players. 

Against the run of play Sheffield were hit by a sucker-punch; Wightwick’s corner found the perfect spot, with McGOVERN left unattended to head home. 

Wightwick almost extended the lead just before the break, as a speculative curling shot from distance caught Parkin off his line, with the keeper scrambling back to tip the ball over the bar. 

In injury time the home side should have levelled, Gregory weaving through a mesmerised defence, and Gascoigne feeding Purkiss who shot straight at the keeper. 

The second half had Club coming out all guns blazing, and gave fair warning to the visitors when Purkiss picked out the sprinting Gregory on the right, with the shot rattling the post with the keeper well beaten. 

Club levelled in spectacular fashion, substitute SYKES picked the ball up 25 yards from goal, and decided to make his Dronfield bow by driving his first touch of the game into the top corner.

With the hosts sensing blood, they went in for the kill, and it came as no surprise that they eventually took the lead on 73 minutes – Algar picking the ball up in a harmless position to tee up GASCOIGNE, whose shot from 30 yards was heading in only one place. 

Lincoln tried to give a final push, although if anything it left them exposed at the back, and prone to some quickfire Sheffield breaks. 

Club weren’t able to add to the tally, however Jack Brownell did draw applause from the crowd, after forcing McGann to make a fingertip save after being fed in by man of the match Gascoigne. 

Sheffield FC: Parkin, Turner, Algar, Robson,  Colbear, Adams ©, Cooksey, Gascoigne, Purkiss, Gregory, Brownell. Subs: Magee, Dawes, Roney, Goodwin, Sykes.

Lincoln United: McGann, Millard, Matthews, Brooks, 
Watt ©, Ward, Norris, Toyne, McGovern, Cotton, Wightwick. Subs: Cann, Robinson, Blunden, Hornsey,  Vince.


Man of the Match: 
Andrew Gascoigne


Squad Player Goals
Richard Adams © more
Dylan Parkin more
Derry Robson more
Joel Purkiss
O more
Benjamin Turner more
James Gregory
Ben Algar more
Lee Cooksey more
Jack Brownell more
Sam Colbear more
Andrew Gascoigne O more
Squad Player Goals
Matt Sykes
O more
Matt Roney
Damian Magee