First Team vs. Corby Town (2 : 3)

Saturday, 21 October, 2017 - 15:00
Evo-Stik League First Division South

Sheffield FC kicked off as the home side looked to make it back-to-back home wins, writes Luke Phelps, on a windy Saturday at The Coach & Horses. It was however visiting team Corby Town who struck first, and just two minutes in after a corner wasn’t cleared falling to striker Leon Lobjoit who headed into the roof of the net to make it 1-0 to the away team.

Sheffield almost replied instantly when Ricky German’s shot was parried and Jamie Yates followed up, only for his shot to be put behind by young keeper Sam Wilson.

Corby’s Jordan Crawford was causing Sheffield a lot of problems down their right-hand side and had a goal disallowed for offside before slipping in Lobjoit on the edge of the box, keeper Laurence Bilboe producing a good save.

German’s hard work in the open stages paid off on the twenty-minute mark after a ball over the defence from Sam Finlaw found him, the striker drilled the ball low past Wilson to make it 1-1.

Both teams had chances to take the lead, but it was the home team who did so. Slick build up play in the centre of the pitch lead to Jack Brownell threading a ball through to Yates who took his time and finished neatly to give Sheffield a 2-1 lead on thirty-eight minutes.

Corby’s very own Paul Malone threatened the home teams lead just before half time as he rose to meet a corner, heading the ball down and onto the post before Bilboe pushed it behind for another corner.

Corby came out for the second half with an attacking mindset, and broke through the Sheffield defence on fifty-six minutes. Crawford initially set up Lobjoit who was denied by Bilboe, before picking up the loose ball himself and finding the far corner through several defenders, putting Corby back on level terms at 2-2.

The home fans thought they should’ve been awarded a penalty after Finlaw bought the ball down and seemingly onto the hand of a Corby defender. The referee dismissed the claims whilst Corby broke on the counter, Lobjoit who had several chances throughout the second half failing to convert.

Corby came close in what was a dominant second half, Lobjoit and substitute Phil Trainer both with chances to take the lead. The third did eventually come for the visitors when the experienced Steve Leslie nailed a free kick into the bottom right corner from the edge of the box on eighty-five minutes.

Sheffield’s German had the opportunity to equalise after the restart but was thwarted by a solid block from Corby full back Jamie Anton. The home team pushed hard for an equaliser in the final five minutes of the game but fell short as in-form Corby Town took all three points.


Man of the Match: 
Laurence Bilboe


Squad Player Goals
Richard Adams © more
Ben Algar more
Alex Brown more
Jamie Yates
O more
Jack Brownell
Derry Robson
Sam Finlaw more
Laurence Bilboe more
Jamie Hadfield more
Ricky German O more
Benjamin Turner more
Squad Player Goals
Charlie Dawes
Joel Purkiss
Lewis Price