First Team vs. Corby Town (1 : 1)

Saturday, 2 September, 2017 - 15:00
Evo-Stik League First Division South

Sheffield FC were thwarted at the death on Saturday, writes Stuart James, as an injury time goal denied Mark Hume his first win of the season. In a dour game, Club had taken the lead in the 53rd minute from an Andrew Gascoigne penalty, with Corby grabbing an equaliser in the 91st minute from substitute Jordan O’Brien.

It took some time for both teams to get going in this one, with both guilty of wayward passing and bad control, in conditions that were nigh on perfect for passing football. 
Eventually the hosts managed to get an effort on goal, following a corner from new signing Lee Beeson, with Paul Malone heading just off target. 

There was a fractious moment midway through the half, as Steven Leslie reacted to a Richard Adams tackle by raising hands and pushing the Sheffield defender over, Referee Walker however deemed this only worthy of a yellow card. 

Sheffield weren’t really threatening the home side at all, but produced some decent football with Ben Algar and James Gregory combining to send a ball into the box, with Mohammed Tijani hooking the ball just outside the post. 

Corby could - and probably should - have taken the lead, as a ball in from David Bell picked out Sam Mulready unmarked in the box, with the home player’s header under hit and Malone unable to dig the ball out of his feet with the goal at his mercy. 

Just before the break Beeson drew admiring oohs from the home crowd, as a viciously curling shot from about 25 yards out swung in, but finished over Brett Souter’s crossbar. 

There was a nervy start to the second half for the visitors, as Souter tried to dribble the ball out of his area, only clearing to Trainer whose return chip sailed over the bar. 

Club finally started to find their feet, and Joel Purkiss was put in by Ben Algar, only to be denied by a fine block from Paul Bastock. 

The deadlock was finally broken as Derry Robson’s shot was blocked by the hand of Jamie Anton, with the referee having no hesitation in pointing to the spot, GASCOIGNE making no mistake sending the keeper the wrong way. 

Sheffield were content after this to absorb pressure from a largely ineffectual Corby front-line, with the only trouble coming as O’Brien managed a shot on target, forcing a good save from Brett Souter. 

With injury time looming however, and with the threat of conceding looking to have been ridden, the hosts stunned Sheffield as Jordan Crawford played an excellent ball through a square defence, giving O’BRIEN the opportunity to run on a strike a shot in off the post. 

Corby Town: Bastock, Miller, Anton, Beeson, Malone, Bell, Crawford, Leslie, Trainer, Mulready, Warburton. Subs: Kennedy, McGovern, Smith, O'Brien, Kinniburgh.

Sheffield FC: Souter, Turnbull, Algar, Price, Cooksey, Adams, Robson, Gascoigne, Mawson, Tijani, Gregory. Subs: Purkiss, Ingham, Goodwin, Magee, Roney.  



Squad Player Goals
Lee Cooksey © more
Richard Adams more
Mohammed Tijani more
Ben Algar more
Derry Robson more
James Gregory
Lewis Price
Andrew Gascoigne O more
Brett Souter more
Jack Mawson
Jack Turnbull more
Squad Player Goals
Matt Roney
Damian Magee
Joel Purkiss