First Team vs. Carlton Town (2 : 1)

Tuesday, 27 March, 2018 - 19:45
Evo-Stik League First Division South

Sheffield FC made it back-to-back wins for the first time this season on Tuesday night, writes Stuart James, as they beat Carlton Town 2-1 in a gritty performance at the Home of Football. 

Waide Fairhurst was the hero of the night with a two-goal salvo, making it three goals in three games, with Carlton’s Ben Hutchinson getting one back for the Millers. 

Club made a dream start on 7 minutes, as Leon Osborne chased down a defensive mistake to put James Gregory free on the left, and with the winger playing the ball into the mix it was FAIRHURST who slammed home with a classy finish. 

Carlton soon got back into the game thanks to the hosts’ generosity in taking their foot off the gas somewhat, conceding a multitude of free-kicks in the danger areas, but they weren’t able to capitalise. 
Louis Danquah forced an awkward punch clearance by Hugo Warhurst from one, whilst Niall Davie curled an effort over the bar, whilst at the other end Andrew Gascoigne shot one in return directly at Jack Steggles in the Carlton goal.

Sheffield started to reassert their dominance, with a good move ending with Matt Roney nudging the ball to Gregory, however the touch in the end wasn’t strong enough to divert past the keeper. 

Daniel Elliott had a deflected shot well saved by Warhurst, but it was the hosts who looked the more dangerous, with Damian Magee’s header from a Gascoigne free-kick going the closest.

Five minutes before the break Club made it 2-0, as FAIRHURST was played free in space on the right, and firing a blistering shot that gave Steggles no chance despite getting a hand to the ball. 

The second period saw more of the same, with Leon Osborne going perilously close to making it three, as his curling shot rattled the frame of the goal. 

Osborne turned chance-provider moments later, feeding Roney with an opportunity, this time the shot was deflected to safety. 

James Gregory was the next to be denied by a deflection, however on 63 minutes the Millers pulled a goal back, after a long throw from ex-Clubbie Kieran Walker was nodded home by substitute HUTCHINSON.

Gregory almost reaffirmed the two-goal lead, after bringing an excellent ball down with an exquisite piece of ball control, finishing with a shot over the top. 
Carlton finished with a flurry, putting Club under all manner of pressure, but without ever really threatening the home goal and Sheffield were able to hold on for a precious three points that puts them five points clear of danger. 

Sheffield FC: Warhurst, Turner, Brown, Magee, Morrison, Winter, Roney, Gascoigne ©, Fairhurst, Osborne, Gregory, Subs: J.Yates, Worrall, Lawrence, Purkiss.
Carlton Town: Steggles, Emphraim, Danquah, Lucas, Baldwin, Walker ©, Davie, Elliott, Blake, Wilson, Akaunu. Subs: Hutchinson, Mitchell, Schoenecker, Wallace, Hooton.



Squad Player Goals
Andrew Gascoigne © more
Matt Roney
Leon Osbourne more
Damian Magee more
Hugo Warhurst more
Luis Morrison more
Waide Fairhurst O O more
Benjamin Turner more
6 Darryl Winter more
James Gregory more
Alex Brown more
Squad Player Goals
Jamie Yates