First Team vs. Bedworth United (0 : 4)

Saturday, 14 January, 2017 - 15:00
Evo-Stik League First Division South

Sheffield suffered their third defeat in a week on Saturday, writes Stuart James, as they were given a lesson in finishing in a 4-0 loss at Bedworth United. A first half hat-trick from Jack Jeys was the main difference between the two games, with veteran Iyseden Christie adding a fourth on the hour, only to blot his copybook with a red card ten minutes later. 

The Greenbacks had started the game strongly, giving fair notice of what they were capable of up front, forcing a series of corners inside the opening five minutes. At the other end, Club nearly opened the scoring following Andy Gascoigne’s unmarked header on the left, with Mohammed Hamid inches away from turning the ball home sliding in at the back post. 

Bedworth broke the deadlock on 10 minutes when Iyseden Christie showed quality on the left, dropping his shoulder to lose his marker and putting in an inch-perfect cross, finding an unmarked JEYS steaming in to volley home from ten yards out. 

It was 2-0 just eight minutes later, when United’s goalkeeper Josh Barnes put a deep free-kick into the Sheffield box, with JEYS nipping in behind the defence to get his head to the ball and steer it beyond Danny Haystead. 

Five minutes before the break the game was all but finished, as Christie came out on top of a battle on the right, placing the ball across to JEYS who drove the ball in off the far post to make it 3-0.

The second half saw Sheffield attempt to get something out of what seemed a lost cause, with Gascoigne forcing a fine save from Barnes with a header, following a deep ball in from Liam Royles. 

Seconds later Hamid weaved through the defence, forcing Barnes to spill his shot, with Jason Foster’s effort wayward at best. 

With Sheffield pressing all-out to get back in the game, Jeys broke from midfield – and with just Haystead to beat – the striker couldn’t get his fourth, shooting directly at the keeper. 

The fourth eventually came the hosts’ way on the hour when Liam Royles was chased down by Elliot Parrott in the Sheffield box, with the Bedworth midfielder teeing up CHRISTIE on the edge of the box, who made no mistake with the finish. 

Club’s best chance came almost straight after the restart, when Barnes spilling the ball from a routine ball into the box, with substitute Connor Brunt skewing his shot wide of an empty goal. 

Bedworth were reduced to ten men on 70 minutes, following a verbal altercation between 18-year-old Tom Rose and the veteran Iyseden Christie, one that ended with the 40-year-old blotting his copybook by stamping on the youngster’s thigh – ending the Sheffield player’s game in the process – earning the Green’s forward a red card for his sins. 

Sheffield continued to plug away in search of a consolation, and were frustrated further late on when Connor Brunt and Danny South failed to scramble the ball over the line, with Richard Bryan clearing the danger at the vital moment.

Bedworth United: Barnes, Kavanagh, Haines, Parrott, Bryan, Albrighton, Walters, Blythe ©, Christie, Jeys, Brehon. Subs: Moore, Smith, Perkins, Amour, Penny. 

Sheffield FC: Haystead, Foster, Rose, Royles, Cooksey ©, South, Hamid, Goodwin, Johnson, Gascoigne, Gregory. Subs: Watson, Butt, Magee, Brunt, Roney.



Squad Player Goals
Lee Cooksey © more
Liam Royles more
Ross Goodwin more
Dan Haystead more
James Gregory more
Adam Johnson
Jason Foster
Danny South more
Andrew Gascoigne more
Tom Rose
Mohammed Hamid more
Squad Player Goals
Connor Brunt
Matt Roney
Kieran Watson